Regulations of the Japan Foundation, Bangkok Library
Thais and foreigners *who are 15 years of age or older are eligible for library membership.
※ Foreigners must be resident in Thailand and hold a valid non-tourist visa.
Items and Documents Required for Application
- Two current photographs (2.5 x 3 cm).
- A copy of ID card (for foreigners: a copy of passport).
- Students have to show their ID card to prove their student status.
- Japanese-Language teachers:
– A copy of Civil Servant ID card (for public educational institutions)
– A copy of ID card (for private educational institutions)
– A copy of a teaching certificate from an educational institution
- Bring the above-mentioned application items to the library upon application for membership.
- Fill in the application form and pay an annual membership fee.
(Please inform the Library immediately of any changes to your membership, such as address, telephone number, etc.)
Fees and ConditionsMembership Period 1 year.
- 300 Baht
- 600 Baht
- Japanese Language Teacher
- 500 Baht
NoteMembers are required to renew their membership within three months of the date of expiry, otherwise the library shall delete their membership data from the membership system, and they will have to repeat the application process.
- Users are required to put their personal belongings, such as bags and contents, into the lockers provided in the library.
- No food or drink is allowed in the library.
- Users are requested to switch their mobile phones into silent mode and use their phones outside the library.
- Users are requested to handle books, audio-visual materials and equipment with care.
- Users are liable for the total cost of any damage incurred to the library’s materials and equipment while in the user’s care.
- Members may borrow up to three books at one time for a period of two weeks.
- Members cannot take out any audio-visual materials except audio (music) CDs.
- Members may borrow only one Japanese proficiency test book at a time for one week during the test preparation period (September-December).
- The lending period may be extended once, for one week only, by informing the Library before the due date, unless the borrowed materials have been reserved. (The lending period for Japanese proficiency test books cannot be extended during the test preparation period.)
- Library will impose a penalty for overdue books, as listed below:
– General books --> 5 Baht/book/day.
– Japanese proficiency test books --> 5 Baht/book/day during normal period, 10 Baht/book/day during the test preparation period.
– Overdue books of more than two months may result in legal proceedings.
- Members who have lost or caused serious damage to the borrowed materials are required to make compensatory payment, with an additional 50 Baht for processing the case.
- A fee of 20 Baht is charged to replace a missing membership card.
For Japanese-Language Teachers
- Japanese-Language Teachers may borrow up to four audio-visual items at a time for a period of two weeks i.e. video tape (2 items) and CD or cassette tape (2 items).
- Lending services by mail are available for Japanese-Language teachers who work in the provinces. The library will bear the delivery cost of the requested materials. However, the return of the materials to the library should be done at the expense and responsibility of the borrowers, and materials must be returned by registered mail. The lending period for this service is one month, including delivery and return. Late charges and penalties are the same as for as normal lending. Please contact the library for further details.
Note: Teachers may send a list of requested materials to the Library directly by mail or fax.
Opening HoursOpening hours： 09:00 – 19:00 on Weekdays / 09:00 – 17:00 on Saturdays
Closed： Sundays and Public Holidays.
(Thai National holidays and other designated days December 29th through January 3rd)
※ Library reserves the right to change these regulations without prior notice